Fudgy Cacao and Walnut Slice
I don’t think you can beat the combination of nuts and cacao – rich, decadent, indulgent.
These little gem of a slice is everything I am looking for in an rich, indulgent, sweet treat. They have to be rich, dense, super fudgy, studded with nuts for crunch, incredibly satisifying, simple to make and highly shareable. And further to that they tick all the boxes – no bake gluten-free, dairy free, no added sugar, paleo, vegan, and refined sugar-free.
So let’s get going …
- 2 cups (220g) walnuts, soak in water for 6 – 8 hours, then rinse and drain
- 1 cup (140g) mejdool dates, pits removed
- 1/4 cup (25g) cacao
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- a tiny bit of water if needed
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tbl coconut oil melted
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup unrefined coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For Garnish (optional)
- chopped walnuts
- Line a 20cm by 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place dates and walnuts in a high-speed blender and pulse until fairly crumbly.
- Transfer walnut and date crumbles to a bowl, add cacao and stir to combine. If too dry, add just a tiny bit of water (say 1 teaspoon) and check it is holding together. The mixture should be fairly thick and sticky. Try not to over blend it – try pulsing.
- Put the base into the cake tin and spread it evenly. Use a smaller tin if you want more of a brownie look to your slice.
- Place in freezer while preparing the cacao glaze.
Heat the almond milk until very warm (just simmering). Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Immediately add chocolate to warm milk and loosely cover. Don’t touch for 2 minutes and just let it melt.
Add salt and stir gently with a wooden spoon to mix then add melted coconut oil and use a whisk to mix. Set in fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Process the unrefined coconut sugar in a high speed blender (Vitamix) until fine
Remove from fridge and add powdered sugar a little at a time to thicken. Whisk again to combine. If it’s still too thin, add another few tablespoons of powdered coconut sugar and beat until light and fluffy.