A simple easy to make smoothie bowl that brings the strawberry love of summer into a bright winter’s day. While I generally prefer a hearty cooked breakfast in winter think quinoa porridge or brown rice congee, I do also splash out with activated buckwheat granola and fruit or a rich creamy smoothie bowl to keep my taste buds intrigued and my belly microbes on their toes.
This one can be made with any berries because all berries are great – raspberry, blueberry, blackberry – and while of course fresh is always best it is not always possible so in winter why not grab some frozen berries, thaw them out and off you go. I used frozen strawberries from our yoga garden and garnished with fresh strawberries and some mandarins form our yoga garden. Go wild and make beautiful designs to delight all of your senses. I thaw them out not keen on icy cold food in winter and in both ayurveda and traditional chinese medicine cool or cold food is not consumed in winter.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 155g (1 cup) of cashews soaked overnight or for at least 4 hours, then rinsed
- 260 g (1 1/2 cups)of strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 4 mejdool dates
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened acai powder
- a vanilla pod, split and scraped
- a pinch of salt
- 500ml (2 cups ) of coconut yoghurt
- Put all the ingredients into your blender or vitamix starting with the wet ingredients first and blend until smooth.