Super Green Soup
Parsley, fennel, celery and spinach soup makes a tasty and nutritious meal when accompanied with simple homemade bread or crackers. Parsley is an amazing herb that comes in curly or a flat leafed variety. It is easy to grow and the old’s wife’s tale says that when there is a lot of parsley in the garden the woman is in charge of that particular household.
Parsley leaves are rich in iron, beta-carotene and are packed with Vitamin C in fact, parsley has more Vitamin C than many other vegetables and fruit. This delightful herb is more than a garnish it is a storehouse of essential nutrients like magnesium, calcium and potassium and is the the hero of this soup.
Parsley, Fennel, Celery and Spinach Soup
- 125gms of parsley
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs chopped and fronds reserved
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200gms of spinach, chopped
- 3 sticks of celery
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Separate the parsley from its stalks and chop half of the parsley stalks – discard the rest of the stalks. Finely chop the parsley leaves.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped fennel, celery, onion and parsley stalks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for around 8 – 10 minutes until softened then ad the garlic and cook for another few minutes.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil then add parsley and spinach.
- Stir until wilted, then blend in a food processor or hand held blender.
- Return to the stove top and add a squeeze of lemon and check the seasoning.
- Ladle into bowls and top with lemon zest.
Enjoy your soup!